If you have been convicted of a crime in Georgia and have been released, but are required to complete terms of a court order instead of going to jail, it is likely that you have been sentenced to probation. While probation is generally an alternative to incarceration, probation can also be ordered once an individual is released from jail.

If you are on probation, you are required to abide to specific terms of the probation order that may include submitting to drug and alcohol testing, paying restitution to the victim, and staying away from certain locations or people and even a mandatory curfew. Whatever the terms of your probation, you will be required to report to a probation officer.

Probation orders are often very specific and a violation of any of the terms of your probation will almost always lead to jail time. If you are charged with a violation of Valdosta probation in Georgia, call Attorney George McCranie, an experienced Georgia probation violation lawyer. Not all probation violations are your fault, and oftentimes the court and probation officer do not follow proper procedures. Attorney McCranie will make sure your rights are protected.

Types of Probation Violations

There are two ways in which you can violate your Georgia probation. Call the Law Office of George McCranie if your probation is revoked because of an alleged:

    • * Substantive Violation: New criminal offense was committed
    • * Technical Violation: Failure to follow probationary terms, such as not
    • * Reporting to the probation officer
    • * Attending counseling or rehab
    • * Completing community service
    • * Paying fines or restitution
    • * Abiding by orders to stay away from certain people or neighborhoods
    • * Reporting for drug and alcohol testing

If during the period of your probation you do not follow the conditions ordered by the court, your probation officer will issue a warrant and you will be arrested. At that time you will not have a right to appointed counsel; therefore, you need to hire an probation violation attorney to protect your freedom and your rights. If it is alleged that you have committed a new offense while on probation, attorney McCranie will defend against the probation violation charge and the new charges.

Call McCranie Law Firm at 912-384-2889 to speak with an experienced Criminal Defense attorney.

Visit our website at mccranielawfirm.com or email George directly at georgemccranie@mccranielawfirm.com.

You can also follow us on Facebook, LinkedIn, YouTube and Twitter for informational videos, blogs and answers to your questions.